My family and I LOVE Christmas! We love all things about this amazing season. The lights, the music, the food, celebrating the birth of our savior, extended time with family and friends, and of course- the gifts! My children are no different from other children and will tell you that receiving gifts is most definitely one of their favorite parts of Christmas.
However, we try to do gift giving for our children a bit different. Our children have so much STUFF. The last thing they need is more STUFF to fill their rooms. We would much prefer to give them experiences….or educational opportunities! And, our children would even tell you the same. They LOVE receiving gifts that allow them to have new experiences. Some of their favorite gifts have been:
— we took our daughter who is a competitive gymnast to see the Kellogg’s Tour of Champions where she got to meet some of the 2016 US Olympic Gymnastics team
— we have taken vacations in lieu of “material” gifts
— we have signed our daughters up for a special course or camp
…but one of our favorite new traditions is finding new monthly subscription boxes to give to them as gifts. We match these boxes to their interests and they typically provide them with some sort of educational opportunity. It also gives them something fun to look forward to receiving in the mail each month!
Our favorite subscription box service is KiwiCo!
KiwiCo creates super cool hands-on projects for kids that make learning about STEAM fun! (Acronym check: STEAM = science, technology, engineering, art, and math.) The projects are designed to spark creativity, tinkering, and learning in kids ages 2-16+. All projects, inspiration, and activities are created by a team of product designers in-house in Los Altos, CA and rigorously tested by kids. Every crate includes all the supplies needed for that month’s project, detailed easy-to-follow (written for kids!) instructions, and an educational magazine to learn even more about that crate’s theme. KiwiCo inspires kids to see themselves as makers—engineering and creating their own innovative designs and outcomes. KiwiCo’s mission is to provide the next generation of innovators with the tools and a foundation to become creative problem-solvers and critical thinkers.
KiwiCo has five lines underneath its umbrella — for kids from age 2 to 16.
- Cricket Crate (ages 2-3) delivers age-appropriate hands-on projects to help toddlers build a foundation for learning.
- Koala Crate (ages 3-4) delivers fun hands-on activities to engage the natural curiosity and creativity of preschoolers in play-based learning.
- Kiwi Crate (ages 5-8) delivers young innovators all the materials and inspiration needed for fun hands-on projects that explore art, science, and engineering.
- Tinker Crate (ages 9-16+) helps young innovators to discover and learn about science, engineering, technology, and math through hands-on activities.
- Doodle Crate (ages 9-16+) invites young designers, to build creative confidence by experimenting with art & design techniques in monthly hands-on projects.
- KiwiCo want kids to be FEARLESS INNOVATORS — and design projects to help them develop that muscle.
- KiwiCo creates hands-on projects for kids that are SUPER FUN… but also EDUCATIONAL in a REALLY COOL WAY
- KiwiCo delivers CONVENIENCE — absolutely everything needed to build that project is in the box… which means no extra trips for mom to Target or the craft store.
If you’re still searching for the perfect gift for your children, give them a monthly subscription to one of the KiwiCo lines…they will LOVE it and so will you! Now through 12/19/17, KiwiCo is offering 60% off your first month’s box if you use coupon code CHEER at checkout! Click here to order your subscription now!