While the Christmas season brings a lot of joy and excitement, it can also be a difficult time for our homeschooling days. What child wants to spend the day doing math when visions of sugar plum fairies are dancing through their head? But school must continue, at least for part of the month. If you are up to tweaking your school days, there are some fun things you can do to incorporate Christmas into your homeschooling days!
1. For music you can go through a study of Gloria: A Christmas Hymn Study. Sing the hymns, do the copywork and learn the history of the hymns! Then go caroling at a nursing home!
2. If you have smaller children, make a batch of homemade play dough and create the nativity scene with play dough for a fun art project. You can talk about the story of baby Jesus while you do it!
3. Do you want to read Christmas books during December? Add a fun twist to it and wrap up each individual book and then let your child unwrap a book each day! You can find a list of books we have read here. My children loved this activity!
4. Celebrate the advent season with Truth in the Tinsel. This could be your devotional each morning for your homeschool days. Get the printable ornaments that goes with it so your child can color the ornaments and put on a small tree in your homeschool area!
5. Make homemade gifts with your children in the kitchen! They learn so much by helping in the kitchen, and they can feel part of the gifts they pass out to family and friends. Cookie mixes in a jar, muffin mixes, homemade marshmallows with hot cocoa packs are all good choices. Or you could make Magnesium Lotion and package up in nice lotion jars and give as gifts!
6. Make homemade cards together that your children can then mail out right after Christmas as thank you notes! You can keep it super simple with stickers, or let them draw on the cards, or try their hand at doing a scrapbook type card.
7. You can go through this free Nativity Unit Study with your children! This will include Language Arts, Drama, and Visual Arts.
8. You can do Christmas themed Science activities! Here is a list of 30 different activities for all different ages!
9. Take your children to a performance of the Messiah, and study all about Handel before you go.
10. Get the Playmobil Nativity set and let your children act out the Christmas story! Leave it out all December long for them to play with, and you could use it as you read the Biblical story to them.
Your children will remember the years where you slow down on the actual textbooks and include some special activities. Have a fun December with your homeschooling days!
Caroline Allen is blessed to be a wife to her beloved Sean, and mother to six children. She was home schooled all of her life by her precious mother, and now is living the whole adventure over again with her own children! Having been raised with a heart towards modesty, she started Deborah & Co., a clothing company that offers maternity and women’s clothes, plus toys, books and more for girls! Caroline is also a consultant for Lilla Rose where you will find beautiful hair clips. She would love to visit with you at her Blog, The Modest Mom. You can follow Caroline on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram.