This post is part of my ABCs of Homeschooling Through the Holidays series. To see all posts in the series, click here.
My children can’t wait for the countdown to Christmas to begin at our house. We always celebrate with many fun, family traditions. One of our favorite traditions is create a special way to countdown the days till Christmas. This year, we gathered up 25 of the Best Christmas Picture Books and then created an Advent Countdown Paper Chain.
- Construction Paper (3 Red Sheets and 3 Green Sheets)
- Fold each piece of construction paper in half and then fold it in half again. Unfold each piece of paper and cut the four strips apart. If your child is just learning how to use scissors, he or she may need help cutting on the lines.
- Write one book title from the 25 of the Best Christmas Picture Books on each strip of paper.
- Fold one strip of paper into a hoop and staple the ends together.
- Loop another strip of paper through the hoop and staple it. Continue to loop and staple each strip of paper until all 24 strips of paper are attached together to form a paper chain.
- Hang your chain on the wall. We formed the chain into a circle to create a paper wreath.
While my Kindergartner was writing the titles of the books on the strips of paper, my toddler created a Festive Tissue Paper Christmas Tree Craft. We placed the the craft in the middle of our wreath. Beginning on December 1st, one of my children will tear one of the links off the chain and we will read the book listed on the strip of paper. On the 25th day, my children will remove the craft to see the title of a new book that they will receive as a present for Christmas. An Advent Countdown Paper Chain is a special family tradition and a fun way for everyone to countdown the 25 days till Christmas.
Karen is an elementary school teacher turned stay-at-home mom who shares easy-to-make crafts, fun-filled sensory activities, and simple learning resources at Raising Little Superheroes. Follow her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.
A special thank you to our series sponsors: