I just love Christmas! The shopping, the snow, the music… it’s one of my favorite times of year. (I start listening to Christmas music in October – that’s how much I like the holiday season!)
Every year I like to include a few new family activities to our holiday celebrations. This year I thought it would be fun to count down to Christmas by creating small special memories each day. Nothing flashy or over the top, just a few simple ways to spend time together during this special time of the year.
If you’re looking for ideas to celebrate Christmas, these 24 frugal ideas will keep you occupied from December 1st to the 24th. Most of the activities are free or very low cost but some might involve adding an item or two to your weekly shopping list.
You don’t have to be concerned about breaking the bank to create new family memories!
Countdown to Christmas with Frugal Family Fun
- Sip hot cocoa & read The Polar Express
- Make popcorn & cranberry garland & hang it outside to feed the birds
- Take a winter nature walk
- Bake & decorate sugar cookies for the neighbors
- Build a snowman
- Learn about Saint Nicholas
- Set up your Christmas tree
- Make Christmas cards for family and friends
- Go Christmas caroling around your neighborhood
- Watch your favorite Christmas movie
- Have a snowball fight
- Picnic under the Christmas tree
- Work on a puzzle together while listening to A Christmas Carol
- Go ice skating
- Decorate a gingerbread house
- Play a board game while listening to Christmas music
- Pop some popcorn and drive around looking at Christmas lights
- Go sledding
- Wrap Christmas presents
- Make a donation to your local food bank
- Write a letter to Santa
- Make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning
- Bake cookies for Santa
- Read the Christmas story
Click on the image below to print your own copy!
What’s your favorite way to celebrate the season?
Tonia writes about the adventures of homeschooling life at The Sunny Patch. You can also find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Google+, but most often you’ll find her curled in her favorite chair reading a book.