Christmas is a time that I have always looked forward to for the entire year. All the decorations, the excitement surrounding gift-giving (and of course receiving), the desserts and special fixins’ for Christmas dinner that we don’t necessarily get to consume the rest of the year, can make one giddy. Add in Jesus, the TRUE Gift of Christmas, and you have an absolutely perfect season for celebration!
Or maybe not.
It seems that we often forget what the season is truly to be about. We try so hard to create the perfect meal, trim the perfect tree, bake the most perfect cookies, and give the perfect gift, that we lose our zeal for the season altogether.
Why does this happen? I believe that it could be that we place our focus on the wrong things. We should not ‘add in Jesus’ to our Christmas festivities. We should start with Jesus. This season of celebration is about Him!
How can we remain zealous in keeping Jesus at the forefront of our celebration during the Christmas season and year-round?
- Start the day by reading God’s word as a family
- Memorize bible verses
- Sing favorite carols and hymns or play praise music throughout the day
- Play games such as Bibleopoly
- For the littlest ones, read bible story books and use finger puppets or stuffed animals to act out the stories together
- Enjoy favorite Christmas movies together that point back to Jesus
- Participate in service projects through your church or homeschool group to help teach your children about giving our gifts of time, talents, and money
- Sponsor a child through Compassion International
As we complete our Christmas preparations, let’s remember together that Jesus has given the greatest gift of all~ His life to cover our sins, providing us the way into heaven for eternity. He came as a babe in a manger, withstood hatred and abuse, and laid down His life in the end, even for those who hated Him.
Zealously worship Him today alongside your children, with all of your heart, soul, mind, and spirit!
How do you keep Jesus as your family’s focus at Christmas? Please share in the comments!
Wendy is a homeschooling mama to five who loves to encourage others along the homeschooling journey. She also considers herself a ‘foodie’ and is always ready to try a new recipe in the kitchen. You will find Wendy writing about homeschooling, food, and other life events on her blog, Wendy Woerner~Striving to Follow Him. She also offers a recipes blog over at Southern Test Kitchen. Be sure to visit and connect with her on Facebook and Twitter, too!