Anyone else feeling some major cabin fever these days?
It has been uncharacteristically cold here the past couple of weeks. That bitter, bone-chilling type of cold that makes you want to stay wrapped up in the house in fuzzy pajamas with a cup of coffee in hand. Yep, that type of cold.
Staying home was nice for the first few days, but now I’m coming close to the border of “if I don’t get out of this house with these kids, I might lose my mind”.
We need a field trip. Anyone else agree?
But where do we go?
Well, take your pick….
Here is my Ultimate list of Winter Field Trips:
- Visit a local art gallery. This is one of our favorites. My husband and daughters love to go browse our local art gallery. Give the kids a scavenger hunt while they’re there (find different styles, mediums, etc.)
- Visit an aquarium. Another family favorite!
- Tour a local dairy farm. Most farmers are more than happy to have children visit, just be sure to call first to arrange a good time.
- Visit a planetarium.
- Visit a cavern. Caverns stay basically the same temperature year-round making it a perfect winter field trip.
- Tour your local post office.
- Visit your local humane society. Donate dog/cat food while you’re there.
- Tour your local fire department. Our firemen are wonderful. They love teaching kids and are very accommodating. Your local fire department would probably love to engage your children. Call them and find out!
- Visit a local pet shop. Discuss various types of pets and pet care. (Buy a classroom pet (fish, hampster, gerbil make great classroom pets).
- Go ice-skating.
- Tour your local tv station or newspaper building.
- Go skiing.
- Visit a local bakery.
- Visit an indoor swimming pool.
- Visit a local pizzeria. Many times they will give the children a tour and show them the process of creating a wonderful pizza.
- Visit a history museum.
- Visit a greenhouse.
- Visit a science museum.
- Visit historic homes. I still remember visiting Monticello (the home of Thomas Jefferson) when I was in fourth grade. I can’t wait to share this experience with my daughters.
- Visit a children’s museum. This is where play and learning go hand in hand. Marbles Museum in Raleigh, NC has been my children’s favorite field trip. They enjoyed it even more than the Atlantis Aquarium in the Bahamas!
- Go roller skating.
- Watch a play or an opera.
- Visit an IMAX theater. There are usually many educational, kid friendly movie choices.
- Paint pottery.
There you have it friends, the ultimate list of winter field trips. I hope there is something on that list to cure your cabin fever!
We love field trips! What has been your family’s favorite field trip?