This post is for letter “Y” in the 2016 ABCs of Homeschooling Through the Holidays series.
Jolly Yuletide Garland with Upcycled K-Cup Bells
Are you getting ready for the Christmas season? I love decorating and try to come up with fun and new decoration ideas to help make the season festive. This year the kids and I created this beautiful Yuletide Garland with Upcycled K-Cup Bells. The kids personalized the bells by adding fingerprint polka dots!
On a side note – do you actually know the definition of Yuletide? I had to look it up this year to be 100% on the meaning so in case you are wondering yourself here it is (source Dictionary.com):
- K-Cup’s (empty and washed)
- Acrylic paint in red, white, green, and gold (or spray paint)
- Paint brush
- Green and red pipe cleaners
- Bells (any color would be fine)
- Green and red ribbon
- An artificial garland (with or without lights)
This project will take a couple days to complete due to the drying time necessary in between steps.
- Lay out newspaper at your work station, using the paint brushes paint the k-cups (the number will depend on the length of your garland).
- Paint half red and half gold.
- Allow to dry fully and apply a second coat of paint.
- Allow to dry again and using white and green paint apply polka dots using your fingertip (the kids enjoyed this step!).
- Once the polka dots are dry you can start the final steps. Fold a pipe cleaner in half, feed the bell onto the pipe cleaner and push to the middle.
- Feed the pipe cleaner up through the existing hole on the bottom of the K-cup.
- Once both sides are out you pull them up until the bell just barely hangs out of the opening.
- Loop the pipe cleaner ends together to create a hanger and fold the excess pipe around the sides.
- Cut a piece of ribbon (roughly 16 inches long).
- Tie a bow around the base of the hanger.
- Hang up the garland.
- Attach an ornament hook to the hanger and hang from the garland.
Take a look at some of our Yuletide fun from years past below:
My name is Shannon and I am currently a stay at home mom to my two children. I love to bake and enjoy planning activities for the kids. I am a Disney loving Mama and working on creating Disney loving kids! Join me over on my blog Crafty Mama in ME, or let’s chat on social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Intstagram and Twitter!
Visit our 2016 Homeschooling Through the Holidays sponsors: