I was compensated for this review. The opinions expressed are 100% mine and I was not required to write a positive review.
As a homeschooling mother, I am always looking for ways to make learning more fun for my daughters which is why I was so excited when I was contacted by Heirloom Audio with the chance to review their collection of adventure audios. We were given the following titles: In Freedom’s Cause, With Lee in Virginia, The Dragon & The Raven, and Under Drake’s Flag.
Being completely transparent here, I will tell you that my daughters did not share in my excitement when I showed them the CDs. They assumed they would be long, boring, and dry. But, they were pleasantly surprised to find that was not at all the case.
We LOVE the audio dramas from Heirloom Audio and here’s why:
- History comes alive!! Until recently my daughters had not found a History curriculum that they loved. They found most programs to be dry and boring, which is why they expected these audio dramas to fall into the same category. Heirloom Audio has done an excellent job of transporting fictional characters back in time and creating a story that transcends time and engages the audience.
- Appropriate for a variety of ages. These compelling stories captivates both children and adults alike. Even the youngest members of your family will be pulled into the drama.
- SO much better than reading from a History text book. The best way to make History relevant to children is to place them in the middle of it…and that is what Heirloom Audio does so well. Your children will finally have a grasp on historical events because they can relate to characters in the stories.
- Very well produced— so much more than a read aloud. I’ll admit, my family was never much for read alouds. Maybe it is because I just didn’t make it fun enough. I’m not much of an actress and therefore read alouds simply were typically considered “boring” by my children. These audio adventure dramas are equivalent to the BEST read alouds x 100. Seriously, they are so very well produced. With amazing sound effects and voice overs, no one will complain of boredom.
- Suspensful and engaging! These stories will keep you on the edge of your seat. You find that you don’t want to stop listening so that you can find out what happens next!
- Perfect for roadschooling! We find ourselves in the car a lot. These CDs make it easy to bring our history lessons on the road with us.
- Make long road trips much more tolerable! We travel quite a bit and even though my daughters are 10 and 11 now, they still complain quite a bit about the amount of time we are on the road. The past two trips we have gone on, we have taken With Lee in Virginia and Under Drake’s Flag along with us and my girls both agreed that the trip seemed to fly by. Actually, we had about five minutes left of With Lee in Virginia when we arrived back and our house and they were so into it that they sat in the car in the driveway to finish it up! I definitely think their initial assumptions that the audio adventures would be “long, dry, and boring” were proven wrong!
- Christ-centered view. I absolutely LOVE how each of these stories are told from a Christ-Centered view and I do not have to worry about conflicting world views being forced upon my children.
- Included study guides provide extra reflection, discussion, and activities.
- They are just plain fun! I can’t stress enough how amazing these productions truly are. They are the perfect supplement to your history curriculum and will engage your children so much that they will continue to to talk about them for days.
These audio productions make great Christmas and birthday gifts for family and friends. They would also make a great addition to your church library or perhaps Christian schools who need additional history resources.
Note: Be sure to put TWO in the quantity field when you checkout in order to receive the discounted price of $79.95
Have you listened to any of the audio dramas from Heirloom Audio? Which one is your favorite?