It’s easy to make wonderful plans for how we’re going to keep the house clean. These plans are wonderful, new, fresh, and will turn our lives around. If we can stay motived long enough to build good habits!
Use these 7 simple tips to build good habits.
1. Get excited about the clean house and new life our good habits will give us. Visualize the outcome. Wander through your clean house in your mind. See the peaceful life you’ll live. Make it emotional, and get excited about what you’re building for yourself and your family.
2. Turn on upbeat music to listen to while you build your habit. Don’t start with making your bed, or putting on your gym clothes, instead start with lively music to get you in the mood.
3.Start slow. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and we don’t change habits overnight. Begin with baby steps, and work for continual improvement. Often the greatest success doesn’t come to the hare, but to the tortoise.
4. Make a deal with yourself. You can do your chores and then go out to coffee with your best friend. You can get dressed in gym clothes, run a mile, and then stop for the day. After your chores you get to sit on the porch, watch the sun rise, and enjoy a cup of tea.
5. Have fun. Don’t just run through your chores or new habit feeling like a slave to your new habit. Turn on music, listen to an audiobook, sing every silly song you know, or pretend to be Cinderella dreaming of a ball.
6. Reward yourself. This is especially important if you make a deal with yourself. Remember to follow through. Give yourself treats for a job well done. It works for training puppies, teaching children to read, and ourselves. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, and a small treat helps the habit to form.
7. Track your successes. Most of us keep track of our failures, but how often do we track our successes? This can be as easy as putting a gold star or a green dot on each successful day. See how many days you can successfully do your new habit.
Building good habits is tricky, and it’s hard to stay motivated. It is possible, and even fun, to build good habits if you use these seven tips to stay motived.
What’s your favorite method to stay motived to build good habits?