Without prior knowledge, we suddenly find our calendars filled up. We must not forget the lessons we've already learned in our quest to live more intentional lives.
Just a quick recap, we started the challenge with learning to live intentionally by simplifying our lives. Beginning with decluttering our surroundings, then decluttering our calendars and lastly decluttering our minds.
Then, we focused on becoming an intentional Christian by putting God first, and by being the hands and feet of Christ.
Now, we are going to switch gears a little bit and learn to be an intentional wife.
Marriage isn't something that can sustain itself.
It takes a constant effort each and everyday.
Ladies- we can't become complacent in our roles as wives. Satan is prowling. He is waiting for that moment when we let our guard down and he can slip in.
We must be intentional.
Next to being a Daughter of the King, our most important title is “wife”.
Many times throughout the almost eight years (next week!) of my married life, I've struggled most with keeping my roles in the correct order.
First and foremost, I belong to Christ.
Then, I am my his wife.
And then I am their mother.
When I start to get these out of order is when my life spirals out of control.
You see, I can't be the best mother to my children if I'm not putting my relationship with their father first.
This requires me to be an intentional wife, and that isn't as easy as it sounds.
As homeschooling mothers it is so easy for us to pour our hearts and souls so completely into our children that by that by the end of the day, we have nothing left for our husbands.
Can I let you in on a little secret, Moms?
This is what our Enemy hopes for. He banks on the fact that mothers will give their all to their kids to the point that the marriage will crumble. And when the marriage falls apart, Satan has a better shot at your children.
You see, the Enemy is crafty. He knows how to blindside us. He can use something as innocent as our desires to be good mothers to wreck havoc on our marriages.
So what do we do?
1. Get our priorities in line.
- God first.
- Husband second.
- Children third.
- Children need bedtimes. Mommy and Daddy need alone time everyday. Time to talk. Time to connect.
- You know your schedules. Where can you fit in daily one on one time with your husband? Could you enjoy morning coffee/devotion time together? Could you have at home lunch dates?
- At least once a month! (If it's possible to do more than once a month, go for it!)
- Can't afford a sitter or can't find time to leave the house? Check out this list of stay at home date night ideas!
- Do you like dancing? Hiking? Cooking? Shopping?
- Even mundane chores are more fun when you're with your best friend. Cook dinner together, fold laundry together. Make the most of the time you have.
- What commitments can you eliminate for the sake of spending more time with your spouse?
- Being intimate with your spouse is truly a gift from God.
- S*x is a very basic human desire and need. Ladies, don't ignore the advances of your husband. He needs you.
Where do you struggle most in being an intentional wife?
Today's Challenge: Find thirty minutes today to spend totally focused on your husband.